Chicago Surface Lines
double-end car 6153 is actually seen on route 28-Stony Island Avenue
47th Street turning north onto Cottage Grove on a trip from 95th Street
to the Loop. The Victory Theatre was in the background. The
car was one of the so-called "Odd 17" cars built in 1922 to replace an
equivalent number of cars destroyed by fire at the Devon Car House.
Cars 3179-98, similar to the "Odd 17's," were the mainstays of Stony Island
Avenue. On December 4, 1949, route 28 was converted to bus
operation on weekends and holidays and the buses ran only from 95th Street
to 47th and Cottage Grove; on June 30, 1951, it became a full time bus
line with all service from 47th Street to the Loop discontinued, being
duplicated by the 4-Cottage Grove route.
data from Dennis M. Linsky
Back to CSL
to CTA Page
to Home Page